Your Himalayan salt lamp is leaking because the salt absorbs moisture from the air and this moisture condenses and becomes liquid water and starts to leak if the bulb is not functioning properly to evaporate them.
The good news is, if your lamp is leaking that means the lamp is working to absorb moisture and pollutants from the air however the evaporation mechanism is not working properly.
Main reasons for a leaking salt lamp
1. Not keeping the lamp switched on at all times
The heat for evaporation of the moisture comes from the heat emitted by the bulb. So if the bulb is not working, the lamp fails to evaporate the absorbed moisture.
2. Using a low Watt bulb
Sometimes the bulb is working but the heat is not enough. In this case, you can replace the bulb with a bulb having a high watt value such as 25-30 watts. See our bulb size guide here.
3. The room has too much moisture
Bathrooms, Laundry rooms, and your kitchen is filled with moisture, and lamps kept in these rooms might start to leak.
If your salt lamp is exposed to direct sunlight, it might start to leak water.
How To Stop Salt Lamp from Leaking?
- Keep the lamp on at all times. 24 hours a day. If this is not possible keep it turned on at least 16 hours a day.
- Avoid rooms with high humidity like your kitchen, laundry room, and bathrooms. The ideal humidity is less than 50%.
- Use a high watt bulb – Normally the salt lamps have 15 watt bulbs but you can go up to 30 watts.
- Keep a moisture absorber closer to your lamp. This will absorb the excess moisture and your lamp will stop leaking.
- Position away from direct sunlight.
- If all the above fails, you can use a decorative plate to collect the leaking water.
Dangers of A Leaking Salt Lamp
- Metal corrosion – Salt can corrode metal, so if your lamp has any metal parts, they will start to corrode over time.
- Damaging wooden surfaces – Salt can also damage surfaces, such as wood or furniture, if not cleaned up right away.
- Electrocution – If water comes into contact with a power outlet, it can cause electrocution.
How to clean a leaky salt lamp
When you discover that your salt lamp is leaking, it can be a very messy cleaning job. Here are some tips to help you get the job done quickly and easily:
- Turn off the lamp. If your lamp has a leak, turn it off immediately to avoid any further damage or potential risk of electrocution.
- Absorb the water. With a microfiber cloth, soak up any excess salt water that has seeped out.
- Remove loose salt crystals. Once most of the water has been absorbed, use a vacuum with a soft brush attachment to suck up any remaining salt crystals that may have been formed as a result of the leak
- Ventilate – Finally, put the lamp in a well-ventilated place and let it dry completely. It may take a few hours for the lamp to dry completely, so be patient.
How To Take Care Of Your Salt Lamp
If you are wondering how to take care of a salt lamp, you should know that it does not require much effort. You can use these tips to increase the lifetime of your Himalayan salt lamp.
Don’t clean it with chemical cleaning products.
To clean your salt lamp, use a damp cloth and rub it gently. You have to keep it clean of dust and since it absorbs the particles, it should be cleaned from time to time. Use a delicate cloth moistened with lukewarm water but not too soaking wet.
Don’t submerge it in water or under the tap as it could be damaged. It should be placed somewhere where there is no excessive humidity or, at least, not in a high proportion.
Once moistened with the cloth, let it dry.
In addition, you should know that for your lamp to work better you should leave it on for as long as possible since when they heat up they accelerate ionization.
If you do not use it for a long time, it is best to cover it with a plastic bag.
How to store a salt lamp when not used to prevent leaking
You may have noticed your salt lamp leaking when you put it away? Let’s see how you should store this unusual table lamp when not in use:
- Store in a dry place. Ideally, store the lamp in a cool, dry place. If possible, find a place where it will not be exposed to direct sunlight or extreme temperature changes. The basement or a closet are ideal places.
- Wipe off excess salt. The salt lamp water is not normal water, but salty. If this water seeps into furniture or any other surface, you will have to be very careful when cleaning it so that the salt crystals do not get damaged.
- Clean the base. Remove the salt crystals from the base of your lamp. The water will evaporate and leave behind crystals. These can make your lamp look dirty and salt-stained. Use the hard plastic scrapers found in the kitchen to use on non-stick pans to scrape off salt crystals and not to damage the lamp or its base.
- Store the cord carefully. When storing your Himalayan salt table lamp, make sure the cord is well wrapped and secured. This will prevent the cable from becoming tangled or damaged.
- Seal from the air. You can also place your salt lamp in a plastic bag or box once it is completely dry to keep it safe.
- Store with a moisture absorber. You can buy moisture absorbers or use the ones found in containers and are often thrown away. Place a few of them in the plastic bag with the lamp so they’ll absorb moisture before the salt does.
The Benefits of Himalayan Salt Lamps
Salt absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. When Salt lamps are turned on, the moisture gets evaporated making negative ions. These negative ions have numerous benefits for us.
One of the most widely reported benefits of salt lamps is that spending time in their presence increases serotonin, which promotes better sleep. And while this is an unproven result, anecdotal reports suggest that users feel they sleep better when using the lamps. This may be not only because of the release of negative ions but because the lamps emit a soft, relaxing glow that helps set the body’s circadian rhythms to “sleep.”
Do you want to try it? Use it without your TV — no cell phones, computers, televisions, or other backlit LEDs — and curl up with a cup of herbal tea by the light of a Himalayan salt lamp for 30 minutes to an hour before bed.
They reduce anxiety
Some people swear by Himalayan salt lamps to help calm and reduce their anxiety. Why? It’s those negative ions again and their effect on serotonin. They are also believed to increase blood flow to the brain, which can also help reduce anxiety.
They purify the air
One of the biggest claims about Himalayan salt lamps is that they purify the air, both through the release of negative ions and because of the hygroscopic nature of salt, which means that they attract moisture particles from the air along with pollutants.
For this reason, many people place Himalayan salt lamps near computers and electronics to cleanse electromagnetic energy or place them in areas where they spend a lot of time absorbing toxins and allergens.
The pink salt used to make Himalayan salt lamps is a type of healing crystal called halite. Halite is believed to have numerous healing properties, including purifying the aura, clearing negative energy, and cleansing other crystals.
Benefits in feng shui
In feng shui, Himalayan salt lamps are believed to draw sha chi ( negative energy) out of spaces and objects and help balance yin and yang.
Other reported benefits
Even without scientific evidence, people have attributed multiple benefits to Himalayan salt lamps:
- Reduces asthma symptoms
- Reduces airborne infections
- Improves mood
- Increase energy
- It May help with skin conditions
- Increases the level of attention
Salt lamps are beautiful decorative pieces, but they can be frustrating when they start to leak. We hope these tips will help you prevent your lamp from leaking and keep it looking beautiful for years to come.